Travel & Vaccinations
Covid-19 Vaccine – At this moment in time we are not able to announce when we might be entitled to hold and give the vaccine against Covid-19. Please keep an eye on the website for up-to-date information.
- For current vaccine prices and availability please contact the practice.
- Vaccines available:
- MMR (as per protocols)
- Typhoid (boosters recommended every 3 years)
- Pneumococal vaccine ( 23 valent and Prevenar as per protocols )
- Meningitis ACWY. For travellers at risk of contracting Meningitis (mostly for destinations in sub-Sahara Africa), teenagers and up to 25 years of age if at risk and before attending university and higher education. Guidelines indicate that boosters are recommended every five years in some circumstances. If you are in doubt about your risk please contact the practice.
- Meningitis C and HiB as per protocols
- Hepatitis A (Course of 2 injections provides 25 years immunity)
- Hepatitis A & Typhoid (combined vaccination often given before travel )
- Hepatitis B (course of 3 injections provides as least 10 years immunity)
- HPV – Gardasil x 3 (protection against cervical cancer)
- Rabies (course of 3 injections over 3 to 4 weeks providing up to 5 years protection)
- Yellow Fever MUST BE ADMINSTERED 10 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE (Dr Edmonds practice is a registered Yellow Fever Centre)
New guidelines indicate that a single vaccination provides lifetime cover
- Japanese Encephalitis (2 vaccines by special order)
- Pertussis ( Whooping Cough ) vaccination (especially important for women who are 28+ weeks pregnant – please contact the practice)
- Shingles - SHINGRIX – Dual dose providing better protection against shingles (by special order)
- Tick-borne Encephalitis (by special order)
- Typhoid boosters recommended every 3 years
- Flu vaccinations, available from October to February each year. A specific influenza vaccination is recommended in patients over 65. Early booking is recommended. See below.
Travel Clinic and Yellow Fever Centre
ALL TRAVEL VACCINATIONS ARE BEST GIVEN TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO TRAVEL
Our practice Travel Clinic offers a complete vaccination service and advises on malaria prophylaxis and general health protection. We receive and publish regular outbreak information for worldwide destinations. We are able to prepare patients for short and long haul travel to countries where there are significant environmental health hazards including advising groups and individuals undertaking adventures in remote and hostile locations.
Our practice is an accredited Yellow Fever Vaccination Centre and we issue International Yellow Fever Certificates which MUST be kept with you at all times when travelling (perhaps with your Passport) especially when entering countries where Yellow Fever documentation is mandatory. NB Duplicate certificates can be reissued but only if appropriate documentary evidence is available. Sometimes repeat immunisation is required. It is essential to arrange this before you travel.
Seasonal flu vaccination programme for 2020-21
There are two different vaccinations available between October and February. One is specifically for the over 65 age group called aQIV 2020-21. Both are recommended especially if you are in the "at risk" group of the population.
MEDICAL PROFILE FOR THOSE MOST AT RISK
- All Patients over 65 years of age
- Chronic lung or chest conditions (6months or older)
- Diabetics (6 months or older)
- Healthcare workers/key workers/care workers eg Emergency personnel)
- Heart disease (6 months or older)
- Kidney/liver patients (6 months or older)
- Patients with low immunity eg cancer patients with or on treatment
- Patients with stroke or neurological conditions
- Women who will be pregnant during the influenza season